If you’ve been following along with the last couple of interviews here at Your Morning Basket, you know that Pam has been walking us through the “3Rs” that make up a rich Morning Time: recitation, reading aloud, and ritual. (And if you missed one and want to get caught up, be sure to check out episode 2 and episode 3.)
Now it’s time to tackle the third R, ritual.
So often I find myself wanting to slow down and give my children time in our day to think, explore, and reflect.
I want our Morning Time to be about more than checking off items from our list of things to do, but I’m not sure how to develop a meaningful liturgy that will help us begin our day. And then I find myself wondering if any ritual can really be restful and refreshing when energetic, chatty young children are involved.
Today’s episode addresses these issues and so much more. Pam talks with Dr. Christopher Perrin of Classical Academic Press, who introduces us to the concept of scholé, or restful learning.
Dr. Perrin encourages us to develop liturgical practices for Morning Time that can set the stage for scholé in our homes, and he provides us with examples of restful learning that can work in real life, even with wiggly, noisy kids like mine.
There is so much to take in from this interview; I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Listen to the podcast
The Basket Bonus for this episode is a downloadable worksheet designed to help you bring scholé and ritual to your Morning Time.
The top portion of the worksheet walks you through doing the 5 Senses Survey Dr. Perrin discuss in the show. The bottom portion encourages you to think about the practices of your own faith tradition and how you can use them as a model for the ritual practices of your Morning Time.
Enter your info to gain access to the Basket Bonus Library.
Links and resources from today’s show:
Leisure: The Basis of CultureThe Nicomachean EthicsPoliticsDesiring the KingdomChildren’s Daily Prayer 2015-2016The Liberal Arts Tradition: A Philosophy of Christian Classical EducationThe Intellectual Life: Its Spirit, Conditions, Methods
Leave a Rating or Review
Thank you for your interest in leaving a rating or review for Your Morning Basket on iTunes. Here’s how you do it:
- Click on this link to go to the podcast main page.
- Click on View in iTunes under the podcast cover artwork.
- Once your iTunes has launched and you are on the podcast page, click on Ratings and Review under the podcast name. There you can leave either or both! Thanks so much.
Ways to Listen to Your Morning Basket
Podcasts are radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. You don’t have to have an iPod or smartphone to listen.
- Listen right here on the blog. Click through to the site and click the little play button in this post.
- Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch. Subscribe via iTunes or Stitcher. I show you how to do that here.
- Subscribe to get updates. If you would like to receive our weekly newsletter, which will notify you whenever new episodes are released, you can subscribe right here.