Welcome back to a brand new season of Your Morning Basket. We’re starting this season off with a real treat: a conversation with Sonya Shafer all about narration.
Sonya is a veteran homeschooling mom and the co-founder of Simply Charlotte Mason, where she makes the principles and practical how-tos of a Charlotte Mason education accessible to today’s homeschooling families.
In this interview, Sonya demystifies the practice of narration, or reading living books and then having children “tell back” in their own words what they remember.
She shows how narration is not so much a method of quizzing our children, but rather a powerful tool for promoting attention, comprehension, and retention as the children make the books their own.
This conversation is full of step-by-step instructions for how to get started, ideas for moving beyond the basics with older kids, and plenty of trouble-shooting advice.
Listening answered so many of my own long-standing questions about narration, plus some questions I didn’t even know I had. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Listen to the podcast
The Basket Bonus for today’s show is a narrations help bookmark. Enter your information to gain access to the Basket Bonus library.
Links and resources from today’s show:
- Simply Charlotte Mason
- Simply Charlotte Mason Bookfinder
- Truth Quest
- All Through the Ages
- 5 Steps to Successful Narration
- Your questions Answered: Narration by Sonya Shafer
- Narration Q&A blog post series • Part 1
Leave a Rating or Review
Thank you for your interest in leaving a rating or review for Your Morning Basket on iTunes. Here’s how you do it:
- Click on this link to go to the podcast main page.
- Click on View in iTunes under the podcast cover artwork.
- Once your iTunes has launched and you are on the podcast page, click on Ratings and Review under the podcast name. There you can leave either or both! Thanks so much.
Ways to Listen to Your Morning Basket
Podcasts are radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. You don’t have to have an iPod or smartphone to listen.
- Listen right here on the blog. Click through to the site and click the little play button in this post.
- Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch. Subscribe via iTunes or Stitcher. I show you how to do that here.
- Subscribe to get updates. If you would like to receive our weekly newsletter, which will notify you whenever new episodes are released, you can subscribe right here.